Friday 1 May 2015

//Folic acid awareness day //

Hello guys!

This isn't really the direction I was going to take this blog straight away.

As you know I am a mother! To a beautiful boy called casper . He is 18 months old...

And was born with spina bifida

What is spina bifida?

"Spina bifida (Latin: "split spine") is a developmental congenital disorder caused by the incomplete closing of the embryonic neural tube. Some vertebrae overlying the spinal cord are not fully formed and remain unfused and open."

When I found out I was pregnant I was shocked to say the least! Wasn't planning a baby at all! But wasn't upset about it either!

Went to my scan to find out how far along I was ... maybe find out if it was a boy or a girl...

I was quickly told I was in fact 29 weeks and that my baby had spina bifida

I threw up

I went for special scans ... even an mri...

Why am I telling you this?

Because today is folic acid awareness day!

Basically studies have show that taking folic acid can help REDUCE the chances of a child being born with spina bifida.

I'm not trying to ram information down your throats... I'm simply sharing my story.

I just feel it's important people are more aware !

Casper is lucky in that he has closed spina bifida and has no major issues with mobility. .. He can walk (not for ages) he can run abit and can climb!

There are a few forms of spina bifida but ill leave that stuff for you to research or can do another post about it and more in depth about my story if people would like to read that.

Basically the point of today is that people know more about neural tube defects...

I am very open on all of my social media accounts  (some people get annoyed but whatever!) I do it to help people more than piss people off but people see things in different ways!

Anyway basically they say for people to be taking folic acid 3 months before conception and spina bifida and other neural tube defects occur in the first 18-21 days of conception.

- it's why I don't get why most people are told to start taking it when they find out they are pregnant cause more often than not (and to put this bluntly ) it's already happened.

I just don't want people to go through what me and so many other women ... Fathers. .. families and more importantly the children have to go through!

Basically do some research and have a think .

If you want more information visit the go folic website or Facebook page! And if you have any further questions you can find me on any social media by searching

"Leona Charissa callon "

Thanks for reading!

Until next time

Take care!

- Leona Charissa♡

No comments:

Post a Comment